Monday, October 13, 2008

"SAHM" is a four-letter word...


By SAHM, I mean "Stay-at-Home-Mom". I used to think this was such a "potty" word...as a teenager, I wondered what would make a woman voluntarily give up her super-cool career as someone so important, and stay at home with her 'snot-nosed kids'. BOY, was I so wrong!


This post is for all my mommy friends out there and buddies who wish to someday settle down and have kiddos... Let me first start out by saying that I understand how many different viewpoints there are out there about staying at home vs. working and obviously there are several ways to accomplish both. Staying home with the kids isn't for everyone, but I love that it is for me and want to share this joy through scripture this week.


Sometimes it is really easy for me to feel like I've let someone down by not using my degree. I'll admit that it was hard for me to wrap my brain around "giving" my teaching job to a gal who was right out of college. Afterall, that was MY classroom and those were MY students.....whatever. The cool thing of it is that everyday, I wake up to the sound of baby babbles from the other room as my little buddy jumps up and down in his crib. What a marvelous God we serve, who would let me feel joy in having a family to serve and love.


Everyday tasks can get boring and tiring, but I love these verses as they remind me that staying home serves a higher purpose than what I can plainly see:


"The Lord will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty,...to bless all the work of your hands." Deuteronomy 28:12


"As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15


"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain." Psalm 127:1


If you're feeling overwhelmed or discouraged this week, remember that God will bless all the work of your hands, no matter how "small" or "great" they seem to us.

No comments: