Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Lesson in envy

Envy is the art of counting the other fellow's blessings
instead of your own.

- Harold Coffin



Today, I spoke with a good friend of mine who told me that they just bought a new house. I was so happy for them but couldn't help thinking why they bought a new house when their current one was really nice anyway. They are expecting their first baby, and they are checking off the list of things that they need before the baby comes. I'm so glad that they are having a baby. They are truly wonderful people, and their children will be extremely blessed to have such good parents. But why upgrade when the house you live in is REALLY nice already? Their new neighborhood is just down the street from us, so I decided to drive through. The more I drove through the neighborhood, the more envious I got. I'm not the main financial provider in my family, and my husband has a job where people think he earns about three times as much as he really does. We struggle to pay bills sometimes, and it's really frustrating. I guess I found myself feeling jealous that my good friends get to start out their family in such luxury while we are scraping the bottom on the barrel at times.

Then I realized, why be envious of my friends when I have everything in life that I need right now? I have a wonderful husband, two happy and healthy kids that make me smile everyday, a roof over my head, and food on the table. We can laugh, cry, eat meals, welcome friends and family, and love in a house of any size. Besides, if we had every physical desire that we want NOW, it doesn't make us appreciate what we acquire in the future. So today I wake up, give my girls morning hugs and kisses, make breakfast in my fully-stocked kitchen, shower in hot water, and put on clothes from our almost-too-small closet. And I'm thankful for every last bit.

Take delight in the Lord,
and he will give you your heart’s desires.
Commit everything you do to the Lord.
Trust him, and he will help you.
- Psalm 37: 4-5

1 comment:

Ariel said...

That's just what I needed to remind myself today. Thanks, Sara!